Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

PFW AW20: Chanel

Chanel - Captain Jack Sparrow

Every season I count the Chanel runway as the end of Fashion Month and this season it is going to be the closing post in my Fashion Month series. This month I have managed to watch 1 show live during each week and during Paris Fashion Week, I watched the Chanel show whilst I was sending emails at work. Oddly I received a notification from Linkedin saying that the show was going live so I watched it. 

In typical Chanel style the show was over 20 minutes late but the set was something to behold and it was great to watch the show live as Chanel is always one of my favourite runways. However, as I watched it this season I did have some thoughts and I will be honest, not all of them were overly positive.

Picture from Vogue

Autumn/Winter 2020

Even if you aren't into Fashion as much as someone like me, I feel like you would still know some of the classic Chanel details. Obviously the CC Chanel print is something that everyone can recognise but I do love the updated Chanel print like on the coat in the picture below. The Cha Nel earrings from a few seasons ago were so popular and this coat has adopted that same print.

In recent seasons, pearls have been big on the Chanel runway and there were still pearls on this runway, especially on some of the accessories. I love looking at the accessories on the Chanel runway, I will forever lust after a Chanel bag and I really enjoy seeing them styled on the runway. 

When it comes to colour you do not expect much from Chanel and there certainly wasn't much of it this season. There was the occasional mint green but other than that it was very monochromatic which is really what I come to a Chanel show to see. 

Picture from Vogue

This season seemed to be about Pirate realness with overcoats and pirate boots. The boots are quite an iconic style for Karl so it was nice to see part of his styling still on the runway. These boots were supported by v-neck frilled shirts and popper trousers which show off the boots. The popper trousers do feel a bit stripper like but at the same time they are Chanel which automatically elevates them but I've got to say I am not a fan. 

The whole pirate style is not something I like and the pieces I like from this runway are slightly more wearable. In fairness I think pirate when I look at this collection but it can also been seen as being straight out of romanticism, you can imagine a gallant man wearing the boots and frilled shirts and I have to say even though I don't like the style, I like this touch of feminism to the runway. 

Picture from Vogue

This season I feel like we are seeing a slightly more casual Chanel runway. Whenever I think of Karl Lagerfeld I always think of him talking about tracksuit bottoms and how when you wear a pair you are essentially giving up on life. Whenever I go to put my joggers on, I always think of this quote and it stops me from wearing them out of the house. However, this season seems to be more casual. 

I really love the casual outfit in the picture above. The sweatshirt is really casual but I love the pearl details and it looks incredibly comfortable. The light grey trousers look very comfy and look like they border on being jogging bottoms which I actually quite like. Oddly that outfit is actually one of my favourites on the runway which unfortunately says it all. This seasons Chanel runway has not inspired me as much as others have previously and when I watched this show live I didn't feel wowed once. It was actually pretty disappointing. 

One thing I did love about this runway was the combination of hot pants/shorter hem lines with longer coats which made sure everything was covered. In addition, this look had been paired with spotty tights which I think were a great addition to the looks.

Picture from Vogue

The runway closed with a Chanel girl gang and one member was also part of the Max Mara girl group, Gigi Hadid. I loved the feminism within the walk and the defiance in them walking together but I have to say I only felt that power within this final walk. The two who walked together in the picture above did not walk in time. All I could think of as they walked was the Bella Hadid & Kendall Jenner walk where they ironically strutted completely in sync as part of the Off-White runway a few seasons ago. This show didn't have that same fierceness to the walk which I have to say was a bit disappointing.   

I loved these final looks, the oversized coats which enshrouded the hot pants and crop tops were incredible and the co-ords themselves were a tweed masterpiece. I was interested to see the hot pants come up again on the Chanel runway as Gigi has worn hot pants for the past few seasons. 

Picture from Vogue

Based on This Runway, What Should You Add to Your A/W Wardrobe? 

Spotty Tights - Spotty tights have taken Instagram by storm recently but with Chanel using them on the runway, I think even more people are going to pick up this trend. I used to have a pair years ago when I was at uni but I got rid of them, looks like I will be repurchasing them in the not too distant future.

Hot Pants - Hot Pants don't have the best reputation but Chanel seem to be trying to improve this by including them on their runway. Chanel have featured hot pants for the past few seasons and every season they grow on me a little bit more, especially this season when they have been paired with these long coats.

Pirate Boots - I love the combination of brown and black but these boots do not do it for me. I'm sure some people will love them but they simply aren't my style. As they do feature so much on this runway I do think it is only fair that I mention them in this section.

Picture from Vogue


If you want to see more of the Chanel runway, here is a link to the full collection on Vogue: Chanel Autumn/Winter 2020 Ready-to-Wear Collection

You might also like:

Alexander McQueen
Giambattista Valli
Elie Saab AW20
Ralph & Russo
Balmain AW20









Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar