Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

My thoughts on the Emmy nominations

Sorry if I stopped posting again, but I was in Lisbon with my friends and therefore I didn't get the chance to see any movie. I'll soon post my review of Sylvia Miles' performance, until then I'll briefly write here my thoughts on this year's Emmy nominations (granted I've yet to see quite a lot of series, such as Westworld).

My two favorite performances of this year in television. So different, yet equally powerful.


Pros
  • I already reviewed Big Little Lies, and those who've read my review will know what I thought of it and its cast. To sum up, I'm just thrilled by its various nominations: Reese Witherspoon gave her best performance since Election, Nicole Kidman delivered an unforgettable  and heartbreaking masterclass in subtlety, Laura Dern brought a sharp comedic edge and a surprising complexity to her role, Shailene Woodley excelled in perhaps her most challenging part to date and Alexander Skarsgard managed to find a frightening realism and humanity in his potentially stock role. 
  • I already expressed my feelings towards Feud as well (in the comments below Big Little Lies' review) and again I couldn't be happier for all of its nominations. Susan Sarandon' portrayal of Bette Davis was captivating, funny and tragic all at once, and Jessica Lange was groundbreaking as Joan Crawford, with her performance in the final episode being so utterly devastating. The supporting nominations are deserved as well: Alfred Molina was terrific, Stanley Tucci was extremely fun, Judy Davis was delightfully bitchy and Jackie Hoffman as Mamacita was the beating heart of the show. I was extremely happy for Hoffman's nomination as I thought she was the MVP of the supporting cast, and thank god they did not nominate Catherine Zeta-Jones for her often awkward portrayal of Olivia De Havilland. 
  • Glad to see Ellie Kemper and Titus Burgess being nominated again for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Kemper keeps being so endearing and genuinely funny in the lead role (which is a far more challenging one than it might seem) and Burgess is absolutely hilarious in every single episode, with each of his line-deliveries and facial reactions being gold, but he also brings a surprising emotional power to the role. His final scene in the series' 2nd episode was surprisingly heartbreaking.
  • The 3rd season of Fargo was perhaps a little less perfect of the 2nd, but it was still a great, compelling experience from start to finish. Its three nominations for the acting are completely deserved: Ewan McGregor is astounding in his two roles, Carrie Coon is fantastic as the moral and emotional crux of the series and David Thewlis is an unforgettable villain, hilarious in a second and bone-chilling in the next.
  • Uzo Aduba was completely deserving of her nomination for the fourth season of Orange is the New Black: as usual, she was absolutely terrific in the tricky role of Crazy Eyes, nailing both the comedy and the drama of the role. She has a few brilliant moments especially towards the end of the season. And Laverne Cox was richly deserving of her nomination in the Guest Actress category as well: in her limited screen-time, she gave a powerful portrayal of her character's physical and mental decay as she struggles to get out of the solitary confinement. 
  • I am obviously immensely thrilled for Millie Bobby Brown's nomination for her amazing and iconic performance as Eleven in Stranger Things. I was not expecting David Harbour's nomination but he completely deserved it as his performance was marvelous.
Cons
  • How could they not nominate Mary Elizabeth Winstead for her amazing performance in Fargo? She was absolutely first-rate in her role and I think she actually would have been a worthy winner for Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries/TV Movie. Frankly, I thought she was the standout of an already amazing cast. Also, Michael Stuhlbarg would have been an extremely worthy nominee. 
  • As much as Aduba deserved the nomination, there were other cast members in the fourth season of Orange is the New Black which were just as good as her, maybe even better. Danielle Brooks was as usual a hoot, but what made her performance in the fourth season so unforgettable is the emotional power she brings to the last few episodes: her last scene in the episode 12 is devastating. Lori Petty was brilliant as Lolly, portraying so endearingly her character's quirks while breaking our hearts with her depiction of her character's mental instability: her last scene left me completely shaken and heartbroken. Laura Prepon gave perhaps her best performance in the entire series as an unusually fragile and guilt-stricken Alex and both Kate Mulgrew and Natasha Lyonne shone in their respective characters (as they do every season). Samira Wiley was terrific too and she would have been worthy of getting in, but she was nominated for The Handmaiden's Tale instead.
  • Jane Krakowski and Carol Kane, just like last year, were unjustly snubbed for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. They were both hilarious while also bringing just the right touch of depth at the exact right times. A shame.
  • Winona Ryder's snub was really surprising to me. I know some people don't care about her performance, but I thought she was heartbreaking in Stranger Things. The kids were also amazing, particularly Gaten Matarazzo, but Ryder's snub was especially surprising.
I haven't seen many other series I can comment on. I've seen 13 Reasons Why and I'm overall quite indifferent towards it as a whole (it has both its strengths and its weaknesses) so I'm not upset nor glad about its lack of nomination (if you want me to talk more about my thoughts on the series, feel free to ask). 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar